Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Diabetes Blog Week - Clean It Out


Yesterday we kept stuff in, so today let's clear stuff out.  What is in your diabetic closet that needs to be cleaned out?  This can be an actual physical belonging, or it can be something you're mentally or emotionally hanging on to.  Why are you keeping it and why do you need to get rid of it?  (Thank you Rick of RA Diabetes for this topic suggestion.

I hoard glucose meters. There I said it. I have at least 20 that I’ve collected over the years. My DNE gives me new ones every few years. Every time I get a new pump, one that links to it is also sent in the box from Medtronic. Family members somehow get them and pass them on to me. I’ve gotten them at diabetes education classes, pharmacy giveaways, and even random doctor’s office.

I have no excuse and no real reason other than laziness for keeping them.

It might even be a sickness. They’re all different brands and types and take different glucose strips. The only thing they have in common is that they don’t have a lancet anymore as I’ve used them up J

I always use the same glucose meter as it links to my insulin pump – Bayer Contour Link. I’m not a huge fan of it as it doesn’t light up in the middle of the night for low BG checks but it sends the data to my pump so my endocrinologist has all of my info in one place. There’s absolutely no point in me keeping them.


Thankfully I’m moving at the end of the month so can use the opportunity to clean out all of my old used meters (as well as the never been used dust collectors). 

No comments:

Post a Comment