Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Broken Wrist....

After going so long without blogging, I feel like I have to purge everything major that’s been going on in my life for the last two years. One of those things is the story about my broken wrist.

I live really close to where I work. If I hit the one light at the right time, it only takes me literally 3 minutes. I love it. It allows me to make it home most days for lunch to spend time with my son. As I went back to work after only three months off, I take every spare minute with him that I can get.

Unfortunately, that didn’t work out so well for me last November.

I had just finished lunch and was driving back to work when another driver decided that he had enough time to turn towards me. Turns out that he didn’t. The air bag in my car inflated and somehow managed to hit my wrist, breaking it. was taken by ambulance to the hospital and the ride was extremely bumpy. My veins like to play hide and seek from needles so getting an IV in me is extremely difficult so this trip was made with oral medication that takes a while to kick in.

When we finally got to the hospital, I had to wait for about 4 hours to get into see someone in the emergency room. I then had an x-ray done and was told that one of the bones in my wrist had been broken and that there was a minor fracture in the other. They admitted me for surgery.

I ended up being in the hospital for about 4 days. My surgery kept getting pushed back as emergencies came in and took priority over me. Unfortunately this meant that my blood sugars were all over the place. Everytime they scheduled my surgery, I had to fast from midnight the night before. Then by the time the surgery was cancelled, was only able to one meal a day. Thankfully they allowed me to keep my insulin pump on so I was able to react to all of my wonky blood sugars from not eating.

On the third day, I finally had my surgery and woke up to the realisation that they had removed my infusion site. I had just changed the site that morning and had asked that they not touch it so that after surgery I could immediately put my insulin pump back on. I had to call my husband to deliver another infusion set, reservoir, and inserter as soon as possible. Thankfully my mom was in town to help with my son so my husband was able to get there pretty quickly.

The joys of dealing with the unexpected when you have diabetes…..

No comments:

Post a Comment