Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Halls Oxygen – Sugar Free?

I’ve been fighting a cold for the last week and it is driving me nuts. I’m actually really lucky in that I’m hardly ever sick, only the occasional cold a couple of times a year. I’ve never been hospitalized. I’ve never had surgery. My mom always used to say that it was because I was breastfed for almost 2 years. (Probably a little TMI but whatever, it’s my blog and I can post what I want :-) ) Who knows if that’s true? I know there’s a lot of research and other hoopla regarding the benefits of breastfeeding and don’t get me wrong, I’m a HUGE believer in it. And in the Diabetic community, there is also a lot of info on how breastfeeding reduces the chance of your child having T1 Diabetes. Yet here I stand, a breast fed child that developed diabetes. But I’m digressing.....

I originally started this post wanting to talk about an experience I had while I’ve been sick with this stupid cold. I went to the pharmacy to pick up some wonderful cold medicine. I’m a compulsive shopper so of course I had to get cough syrup, daytime tablets, night-time tablets, and cough drops. Being a diabetic, the first thing that I looked for was medicine that had the lowest possible sugar content on it. I normally go for Ricola Lemon Herb mainly because I love the taste, but today I saw something new. Oxygen from Halls claiming to be sugar free. I turned it around and low and behold...I saw nutritional information with 3g of carbs per one piece. I looked at the Sugar info and yes, there was 0g. Further down I saw Sugar Alcohols and realized that that’s where the carbs were coming from. How can something be sugar free and yet have carbs? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment