Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Blog Ever....

So I've never actually blogged before but I've read so many of them in the last little while that I thought that I would give it a try. Like my profile says, I'm a 30ish, type 1 diabetic female. Surprisingly I have not been a diabetic since childhood.

I had just returned from a friend's wedding in the Okanagan Valley and noticed that I was drinking about 6 - 8 litres of water a day and consequently going to the bathroom every 30 minutes. My mother right away told me to go to the doctor and get checked for diabetes. Everything inside of me rebelled. Diabetes was for old people.

I was about 24 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

I know what you're thinking, "didn't she say that she was type 1?"
Yes I did.

To explain a little, at the time I weighed about 220 ibs. I'm from a tiny little town and my family doctor wasn't exactly familiar with the different types of diabetes. She figured that anyone who was overweight had to be type 2. Of course, little ol' me, thinking that diabetes was only for old people, didn't question. I made up my mind that if I was going to have a chronic illness, then I was going to be the best diabetic the world had ever seen. :-) 

About three months in, my blood sugars remaining in the high twenties even while on metformin and glyburide and losing 20 ibs mainly due to cutting my carb intake to nil, my doctor finally sent me to an endocrinologist in a larger town. As soon as the endocrinologist saw my sugars, she immediately said that I was definitely a type 1 and ordered a battery of blood tests including an A1C. I also got assigned a dietitian and a diabetic nurse educator that I would see every three months along with my endo. My dietitian put me right onto carbohydrate counting and my nurse put me on prefilled insulin pen injections.

Finding out that I was diabetic was one thing, finding out that I now had to go on insulin injections for the rest of my life was another.

The only thing that I really remember about that day was going out for lunch with my mom and trying to give myself my first insulin shot. Of course it wasn't at a full right angle and hurt like a bitch. Thankfully I figured out pretty quick how to make sure that that didn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment