Friday, May 16, 2014

Diabetes Blog Week - Diabetes Life Hacks




Share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes.  Tell us everything from clothing modifications, serving size/carb counting tricks to the tried and true Dexcom-in-a-glass trick or the “secret” to turning on a Medtronic pump’s backlight when not on the home-screen (scroll to the bottom of this post). Please remember to give non-medical advice only! (Thank you Rachel of Probably Rachel and Kelley of Below Seven for this topic suggestion.)
I Love Love Love this topic! Not because I have any amazing advice to give anyone. Cause I’m really not sure that I do. But because I am so excited to read what everyone else has to tell me. I’m constantly looking for new ways to make my life easier with D.
I do have one thing that I’ve never heard anyone talk about but that I do. I tend to put my infusion sites on my legs. For no other reason than my stomach is so full of scar tissue from 6 years of MDI’s and 2 years of infusion sites. I haven’t worked myself up to trying other spots yet but I know I’m going to have to move to my arms soon. My legs are getting pretty filled with scar tissue as well. As most of you know, having my infusion site on my leg makes going to the bathroom pretty tricky. It’s a constant battle to not pull out my site by getting caught on my pants or underwear not to mention maneuvering around the tubing. To take the tubing out of the equation, I actually thread it under my underwear so that it isn’t an issue when they are pulled up or down.
Now I just need to find something that stops me from ripping out the infusion site ;-)

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea that I never thought of. It seems so obvious now that I feel kind of stupid but it really never occurred to me. Thanks for a great hack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you find something that stops you from ripping out infusion sites let me know! Freaking pain when that happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand! That's what I do when wearing infusion sets on my legs, but still have to deal with the pump itself since I usually wear it on my belt. Used to use the longer tubing, but late last year switched to the shorter tubing... it was painful and frustrating those first number of times that I forgot about the shorter tubing and paid for it in ripping my sites out from the leg, or even my stomach sites. But now, I'm more used to it and don't have that issue much. Great hack there!

    ReplyDelete